Monday, May 9th, 2011 at 1:49 pm
Posted by Jenny Hudson
Moving house is often cited as a significant stress factor. We moved recently and during the packing I remember wondering whether I could just have one big bonfire and burn the lot. Fleeing the country was another notion I toyed with, on more than one occasion if I’m honest. But we got there and we’re now ‘in’ so to speak. We’re still surrounded by boxes and making very slow progress but we’re in.
Every room of the new house contains boxes and cardboard but instead of unpacking I’ve been busying myself with finding a new ironing board cover and looking for the perfect fragrance of linen spray. I seem to have acquired a minor obsession with household products and cleaning utensils. And though I haven’t exactly put them to good use yet, they certainly look good in the new utility room.
Here are a few of my favourites. (I haven’t bought them all. Yet.)
Top: BLASKA Dust Pan and Brush from IKEA, just £1.01 – A true guilt-free purchase.
1. Birds on the Wire Clothes Pegs from Pedlars, £13.50 – How cute will these look on the washing line?
2. Ribbed Housekeeper’s Box in putty from John Lewis, £23 – I have seen a slightly cheaper version of this but the quality doesn’t compare. And plus the cheaper version misses the apostrophe from ‘Housekeeper’s’ which would drive me to distraction.
3. English Rose Ironing Board Cover from Dotty Brown, £14.99 – I have this in Rosebud.
4. The Housewife’s Handbook: How to Run the Modern Home by Rachel Simhon, published by Bloomsbury Publishing – I have this too. It has lots of useful hints and tips and talks you through the process of cleaning your home from room to room.
5. Hand Embroidered Lavender Drawer Sachets by Jane Lightfoot, £7.50 – So pretty and such intricate detail.
6. Dolly Peg Bag and Pegs from notonthehighstreet.com (08452591359) – Love the little peg characters.
7. Washing Up Bowl and Brush from Pedlars, £59.95 – Now this is a little on the pricey side for me. However, it’s made from tough rubber that bends to accommodate whatever you’re washing up and well, it just looks great. It’s available in blue, pink, purple and red.
We’re now over a week ‘in’ and still surrounded by boxes. The utility room has never looked better.
By Jenny Hudson